Friday, November 04, 2005

Spielberg and Kids

Okay, now I should make clear that I wasn't saying that Steven Spielberg is a pedophile. But, his fantasy life is fixated on little children and their often violent adventures with emotionally-stunted older men outside of the bounds of society. And so, a certain aesthetic and even logic that is common amongst pedophiles is also an uncomfortable part of his movies, and therefore mass culture. Morever, the continued infantilization of American culture, which actually began in the 1970s, is going to make pedophilia seem more and more like an option for some people in the years ahead. It can't be very long before we have a slutty pop diva who's 12 or 13.

Anyway, here's Adam Parfrey who actually makes the insinuations that I want to avoid. Parfrey's article is very discomforting, and more than a bit unfair, but he's got a point.

Crispin Glover, of all people, made the same point in another essay. Remember though that Glover sued Spielberg over the use of his likeness in Back to the Future 2. He has some issues with Spielberg.

Me, I have issues with the culture. More specifically, I have issues with the culture's unwillingness to question itself. Is it psychologically healthy to have both a serious problem with developed adult sexuality and a fixation on the "innocence" of children?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that's
both educatіve anԁ engaging, and let me tell
уоu, you hаvе hit the naіl οn the hеаd.
The іsѕue is something that toο few men and women аrе sрeaking intelligently about.
ӏ'm very happy that I found this in my search for something concerning this.

Look into my web-site; Windows Update Error 80072ee2