Thursday, May 18, 2006

My Day

Speaking of being wrong, here's a series of doozies on my part. I calculated my students' grades a few days ago at the university. But, I did something wrong in Excel that screwed up the grades. So, I had to calculate them with a hand calculator.

Then, today, the professor called because she had found that I had calculated one kid's grade wrong. I gave him a 55, when he should have had a 73. Eeek! So, I had to get out my grade book and fix them all.

But, I found that I had mistakenly left my grade book in my office. So, I had to make the hour and a half drive back to work to get it. And get someone to teach me how to use Excel. And redo the entire batch of 65 grades. And now, I think I'm done.

But, I'm checking them again tonight, because I'm sure I've done a few wrong.

Please, no jokes about History students and our inability to do math.

5 comments:

elendil said...

We all know most of them cheated anyway. This is for you, from The Onion.

Heroic Computer Dies To Save World From Master's Thesis

WALTHAM, MA -- A courageous young notebook computer committed a
fatal, self-inflicted execution error late Sunday night, selflessly
giving its own life so that professors, academic advisors, classmates,
and even future generations of college students would never have to
read Jill Samoskevich's 227-page master's thesis, sources close to the
Brandeis University English graduate student reported Monday... (read the rest).

Rufus said...

Yeah, that's great! The Onion is as funny as National Lampoon was in the 70s.

elendil said...

I do love The Onion :-) Hey, would you be interested in this? I know it's bad form to link-trawl, but it's for a good cause.

Rufus said...

It looks interesting. I have to figure it out though.

elendil said...

No problems. There's a little sign-up form if you decide to join.