Thursday, June 01, 2006

Hey now, ice-cream man on my street...

Can I just note that I don't know what the deal is with ice-cream men today? We just had the ice-cream truck pull down our street, with his music on full blast, stop for like 45 seconds, and then take off! Meanwhile, I'm upstairs getting money for him so that I can buy myself an ice-cream sandwich (and one for Lola too, because I am an incredibly indulgent cat owner!) and he just drives off! So, I follow him to the next block on foot, and he stays there for like 30 seconds! The guy totally loses me. So, apparently, if I wanted ice-cream, I should have pursued him in my car! It was nuts. Who's ever heard of an ice-cream man who is too impatient to sell ice-cream?

4 comments:

SecondComingOfBast said...

Just an opinion here, but I'm thinking if he didn't see any kids congregating in the area at the sound of his music, he probably thought it wasn't going to be worth his time to wait. Surely though he would have waited for you if he'd seen you. Though he might have a schedule to keep too, and might have been running somewhat behind.

SecondComingOfBast said...

There's something wrong with the comment link on your heroin overdose post, so this is for it. Thank your lucky stars there are laws against heroin. If it were legal, you can bet your bottom dollar it wouldn't be too long before some special interest groups and politicians would be treating the consequential much greater heroin addict population the way they now do us unfortunate nicotine addicts. Taxing the hell out of us to the point where heroin would probably be even more expensive than it is now, and turning them all into second class citizens, and all the other things they do to aggravate the living shit out of us.

Rufus said...

Yeah, I guess that would be terrible. I was going to say that the advantage is that smokers don't usually get poisoned by a bad batch of cigarettes. But, even if that were to happen, the anti-smoking people would probably blame them for it. I will also note that you see a lot more smoking here in France than you do in the US anymore.

Rufus said...

Yeah, I think the ice-cream man must have been late, because usually they wait for the kids to come outside at least.