Friday, February 29, 2008

Culture Shock

I'm spending the weekend in Paris with my good friend Emily Rems and it's been a complete sensory overload. We hung out with model Velvet d'Amour, I visited Agnès Varda, and got to look at an immense amount of art and fashion just walking the sidewalks from one end of the city to the other. It was fashion week at the Louvre, which I didn't actually realize until Emily told me, and it was a relief to find out that it's not just that everyone in Paris looks and dresses like a model.

Hamilton has culture- I like Teenage Head and Sky Gilbert. But it comes in small dribbles there. Paris is like a sugar rush of culture- you go into a bit of a diabetic coma. The flood of images is like the subconscious externalized. I was overcome in the Jardin Luxembourg and even wept a bit. Henry Miller quit his job, moved to Paris and became a writer. I don't think I have the savvy for that.

No comments: