Sunday, August 31, 2008

Pasolini, Maria Callas - Medea (1969) 04/12

Smitten with Jason, Medea has her brother Absyrtus help her steal the golden fleece to deliver to him. They then flee from Colchis with the king and his men on their trail. As the soldiers close in, Medea kills and dismembers her brother, forcing them to give up the pursuit and gather his scattered remains. Note that all of this happens before Euripides's play begins.

Maria Callas's performance here is breathtaking Remember that this is the only film she was ever in. In spite of being one of the world's great opera singers, she doesn't sing a note in the film. She barely even has any lines. But that expressive face, so often shown in close up, carries the film.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must digg your post therefore more people are able to look at it, very useful, I had a tough time finding the results searching on the web, thanks.

- Norman

Anonymous said...

You'll want to add a facebook button to your blog. I just bookmarked this article, although I had to complete it manually. Simply my $.02 :)

- Robson

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommend by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.

Anonymous said...

buy valium how long does 5mg valium effects last - cheap valium for sale uk