Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Oath of Office

One thing occurred to me today, while watching the inauguration with a crowd of students in the hall of our University. Here's the President's oath of office:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

For the last few years, I've heard many people, incorrectly, claim that the President swears to protect the American people or to protect the country in his oath of office. He doesn't; he swears to protect the Constitution. I think that part of the oath is actually very shrewd. Our ancestors knew what they were doing. Now, let's make sure the new President actually fulfulls his oath.

No comments: