Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Today in Latin, French and Spanish

Here's a word that accounts for nearly half your life...

Dormio, -ire, -ivi, -itum: To sleep, to fall asleep, to be idle.

Romance language speakers should easily recognize this one; for instance, "dormir" means "to sleep" in French and Spanish. English speakers might find it a bit stranger, unless they're college students who generally sleep in dormitories, often after alcohol consumption has left them lying dormant.


The Pagan Temple said...

Just wanted to say thanks. You'll probably see what I mean here in a day or two.

Rufus said...

Well, that's good. You know though, when people say stuff like that in movies, usually a severed head arrives in the mail a few days later!

Incidentally, I was going to send you a link to the site that tells you how to do blog modifications- it's where I found out how to make the collapsing posts. Let me know if you want the code for that.

The Pagan Temple said...

A severed head isn't a bad comparison, but in a good kind of way. Anyway, sure, send me the link, and the code. I'm not sure whether I'll use it or not, but I'll have a look at it. Either send it as a blog comment or send it to my gmail address-


Half of what comes to my Yahoo inbox ends up going to my spam folder, unless of course it's spam. Gmail is more dependable.