Thursday, February 11, 2010

Alexander McQueen (1969-2010)

It's very sad to be noting this, but Alexander McQueen, who I've been raving about here for a little while, and following for the last several years, has apparently committed suicide. It's hard to explain why he was such an impressive designer. Fashion is a business that maintains an aura of innovation, while spiraling through about four or five basic trends over and over. So when a genuine visionary comes around, it's like firing a flare into a foggy sky. Sure, many of his clothes would be unwearable in the ordinary world; but then you might not want Dali to design your house either. There's still something exciting about a designer with a key to the dreamworld. It's too bad he's passed out of this less exciting realm.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Sorry to see it. I know he'll be missed. (especially here)

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

SecondComingOfBast said...

Not all of his designs were that off the wall, I posted some of the photos from this March issue of Vogue of some of his futuristic designs. I don't know if you saw them or not, but I liked them. I'm still half way waiting for someone from Vogue to tell me to take them down. The fashion world can be cold and hard. You're never alone and can still be totally alone. Like one of my readers said, the job never ends, it's one party after another, and a steady stream of drugs. Not necessarily the best environment for a person who just lost possibly the only person in the world that was important to him.