Saturday, April 01, 2006

Example of Mulder's Razor

I think that "Mulder's Razor" describes the way that we now understand the world. There's an incredible tendency to believe the most ridiculous conspiracy theories as somehow more plausible than simpler explanations.

To give an example, when journalist Jill Carroll was kidnapped in Iraq, her captors released a video of her, in which she denounced America. The idea that this was anything but a forced propaganda video seems unlikely. But, following Mulder's Razor, many bloggers said just that.

Now, she's released this statement:

"During my last night in captivity, my captors forced me to participate in a propaganda video. They told me I would be released if I cooperated. I was living in a threatening environment, under their control, and wanted to go home alive. So I agreed,"

Again, this is extremely plausible. But, again following Mulder's Razor, people have claimed that she faked her kidnapping.

"To assume everyone who claims they were kidnapped actually were is naive. Leftists will do anything within their power to discredit our war effort."

Yep. Makes sense, eh? The "our war effort" part is pretty revealing too. Are "we" Americans or Republicans?

No comments: