Saturday, April 25, 2009

Same Story, Different Illustrations

I know this is a well-traveled road, but I never really get tired of seeing these examples of how lowering other human beings is a gold standard for making people feel good. I don't get tired of it for the simple reason that having it called out can only help to raise awareness... otherwise we all sink into tolerance and cognitive dissonance. "Of COURSE I'm not a racist! I totally have a black friend!" Frankly, even saying stupid shit and calling it good medical advice is a means of lowering other humans. Stupid people can't actually help being stupid; apparently that makes them the ideal target audience for your brand of cigs...

Mmmm. Cigarettes for asthma! The treatment of the future. Not suitable for children under 6....

2 comments:

Brian Dunbar said...

One wonders what ads that we accept today will be seen in a hundred years as being beyond the pale.

Rufus said...

Actually, every time I watch television, I'm struck by how many adverts now hinge on us understanding that young men are borderline retarded. I'm actually surprised that nobody complains about that.