Monday, December 21, 2009

Noted Without (Much) Comment

L.A. Times:
"Laredo, Texas, is set to become the largest U.S. city without a bookstore. The B. Dalton in the Mall del Norte, owned by parent company Barnes & Noble, is slated to close next month. When it does, it will leave the city's close to 250,000 residents without a single bookstore."
Maybe it's happening because so many people get their books online or at the library. Maybe it's due to the relatively high illiteracy rate in Laredo. Or maybe it's a harbinger of things to come. Impossible to say. I will note that I live in a relatively poor, blue collar steel town that has at least three good bookstores, but none in the malls. Signs and wonders.

3 comments:

painsthee said...

I read about that a few days ago. I grew up with one (quite lousy) bookstore, but at least it was something. This is unspeakably sad to me--what is a town without a bookstore?

Hopefully Laredo has a great Public Library.

rufus said...

I think they also have some good university bookstores, which I find are a good way to get good books if you're in a dead-end town. It is definitely sad though.

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice blog you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

Anete Smith