Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Powell's 2

Not surprisingly, we returned to Powell's and bought a few more books. Also, I got to see the rare books room upstairs, which was quite nice although it didn't have Lamartine's Voyages en l'Orient, which I'm looking for. Also, the prices were fairly high. There was a first edition Dawn Powell for about $250, for instance. Powell was a genius, but she can't be that sought after.

Anyway, the people at Jake's had asked us if we were "bookers" and I said that I guess so. I think "bookers" must be short for "book collectors" although book collectors should logically have enough time and patience to say both words. At any rate, "recorders" is short for record collectors, and I've been called that too. Actually, given our love of food, Claire and I could be called "foodies" too. Perhaps, we should also be called "walkies" since we love to go on walks, or "sexies" for obvious reasons. I think I'd be happiest to be called a "lifie". We love the world, her and I. I think that's it. We love living in the world.

It's strange, this need to consign one's loves to the status of a hobby. "Resign yourself to a job you'll hate. Get a hobby - but keep it in the garage." -Jello Biafra. "Hobby" seems to be a euphamism for the means by which a person keeps themself from killing their boss. I want my loves to fill my life. I think it's why I'm trying to go into academia- so that I can be a "booker" for a living and a professional enthusiast.

No comments: