Sunday, January 21, 2007

Christian Nationalists

'Aint that something? I blather on here about how the born-agains that Andrew Sullivan calls "Christianists" would be better described as "Christian Nationalists" because that avoids associating them with the violence of fascism (they're not violent) and it highlights what's offensive about them: not their religion, but their desire to 'reclaim' the nation. Anyway, I'm thinking I'm so clever for coining a phrase and then someone points me to this book:
Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism by: Michelle Goldberg

From what I can tell, Goldberg is more afraid of these people than I am. I think the warning about how they're going to conquer America is overly paranoid. Those people that pretend to be Klingons have a better chance of conquering this country and I'm guessing that, after eight years of the born again in chief, most Americans are pretty sick of these people. Like it or not, we're heathens. What can I say? We like booze, sex, and all sorts of other bad things. So, yeah, I think they want to 'reclaim the nation' as well. But, I'm just bemused by them, if anything.

I'm guessing that there will be other people who will complain that the "Dominion theology" loons aren't really nationalists. But, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..

5 comments:

SecondComingOfBast said...

The problem is they are not trying to "conquer" the conquer by force of arms, but through force of law, by the appointment of sympathetic right wing judges, who once they are appointed can't be voted out of office.

What makes that particularly bad from my perspective is, while I find that malignant, i don't consider judges from the other side to be any better, in fact, in many ways they are worse.

So that is really the big problem. Both sides are equally repulsive, at least to me, and there are just no acceptable alternatives.

Rufus said...

Well, at least they're not blowing themselves up in cafes. So, it could be worse.

Rufus said...

And, as for the radical activist judgeson the other side, you'd have to give me an exmple of what they've done. Because, to be honest, I've heard more about them existing than any particular ruling they've made.

SecondComingOfBast said...

Imminent Domain.

Rufus said...

Ah, of course. I've posted about eminent domain a bunch of times here. I guess I don't think of it as a left/right issue so much as just a greed and stupidity issue. But definitely a big part of the problem is that lefties don't bitch enough about eminent domain laws and right wingers don't bitch enough about drug war and religious-based laws. Probably the best tactic is just to bitch about every short-sighted, narrow-minded and repressive law that they come up with no matter who proposed it.