Friday, October 09, 2009

Radio Silence

We're headed up north for the weekend. In Canada, this is Thanksgiving weekend, although it comes next month in the US, maybe reflecting differences in harvest times. I do think we're going to celebrate both this year because why not?

One of the nice things about the cottage is the relative radio silence. If a major world war starts this weekend, I'll have absolutely no idea. I'm not generally a television watcher, so I'm usually a bit oblivious about the world of the present. The weekly Economist helps, as does the Internet. Sort of.

Actually, I'm sort of looking forward to not reading stuff on the Net this weekend. I don't really know why, but as of late, when I read the Internet for an hour or so, I start feeling depressed. I know you obviously can't generalize about it, and it is no doubt due to whatever I'm reading, but I think there's a pervasive tone to the things I read that bothers me. Since I read some of the most popular sites, I can't be entirely off-base in saying that there's an undercurrent of ill will that I find enervating. There are not a lot of good faith arguments made on the sites I read. Many of them read as snarky and bitter, although occasionally funny.

Or, maybe that's just me. What do you guys think? I could just be a dilettante puss.

No comments: