Wednesday, October 08, 2008

No News Day: 4

Well, I folded under pressure. Or, at least, I read a few headlines yesterday. I did not watch the debate, which I only found out about after reading those headlines. But I did check in to make sure that the world had not ended.

It's funny- if you only go by overheard bits of conversation and half-glimpsed newspapers on the racks, you get a very bizarre picture of the news. As far as I could tell, Barack Obama had joined a terrorist organization, Sarah Palin was speaking at White Power events, and the entire western economy has now collapsed. We could expect the roaming packs of wild dogs and highwaymen in the streets before the week ended.

That and Claire's concern about the economic problems led me to check in with the headlines and a few paragraphs on one of the newspaper websites. I know. Teddible, teddible, old bean! But, alas, nothing as exciting as all of that is going on in the world right now. As Krishna once said, creation and destruction are our lot in the material world. That pretty much sums up the news.

2 comments:

Greg von Winckel said...

You know the adage about the watched pot. The economy was waiting until your back was turned to fall in the toilet.

Rufus said...

Yeah, that's what I thought.