Thursday, February 16, 2006

Breaking Horizons of Perspective

I have this desire to found an academic conference entitled "Impermeable Barriers" or "Ending Discussion" or "Nothing New" because every single conference I get an email for is titled something like:

Breaking Barriers
Broadening Horizons
Fresh Perspectives.

Yeesh! They must know how terrifyingly banal these sound. Like infomercials or adverts for disinfectants. All I can imagine is some young junior professor gassing on about "constructions of images in Victorian society" while showing Powerpoint presentations. And then I reach for my revolver. Before I retire, I will found an annual history conference entitled "Same Old Crap".

1 comment:

SecondComingOfBast said...

Or just go the old double meaning and irony route and call it "SOS".