Friday, February 03, 2006

Sublime Meme

I'd like to start a "meme"

I have no idea who reads this anymore, but I'd like to hear what people think of as the sublime.

In aesthetics, the sublime (from the Latin sublimis (exalted)) is the quality of transcendent greatness, whether physical, moral, intellectual or artistic. The term especially references a greatness with which nothing else can be compared and which is beyond all possibility of calculation, measurement or imitation.

I would like to hear your examples of the sublime.

For me, it's the eerie glow of the backyard at 1 am under a cover of newly fallen snow.


Hiromi said...

I'm trying really, really hard not to think of something nature-related.

Rufus said...

But, that's fine really.

For most of the Romantics, the sublime was nature related.