Friday, February 03, 2006

Sublime Meme

I'd like to start a "meme"

I have no idea who reads this anymore, but I'd like to hear what people think of as the sublime.

Definition:
In aesthetics, the sublime (from the Latin sublimis (exalted)) is the quality of transcendent greatness, whether physical, moral, intellectual or artistic. The term especially references a greatness with which nothing else can be compared and which is beyond all possibility of calculation, measurement or imitation.

I would like to hear your examples of the sublime.

For me, it's the eerie glow of the backyard at 1 am under a cover of newly fallen snow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying really, really hard not to think of something nature-related.

Rufus said...

But, that's fine really.

For most of the Romantics, the sublime was nature related.