Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Northern Election


Psssst! Don't tell anyone, but Canada is about to have an election too! Elections here aren't a lot different than they are in the US; it's just the candidates don't talk about Jesus every three sentences and the electorate isn't convinced that it would be the end of all life on earth if the other guys won. Oh, and they're mercifully short- this one just started and it will be over in a few weeks. Meanwhile, the American electoral hostage crisis is entering its seventeenth consecutive year.
On the other hand, it's fairly easy to dissolve parliament here, so they can spring elections on you at any time. The scheduled election was for next year; but Stephen Harper basically called for a general election after the Liberals kept threatening to call for one. Basically, the Liberal Party in Canada is still a mess right now, but the Conservatives can't seem to form a majority government. If the election goes well for them, they will gain more seats. If not, they won't. Either way, Stephen Harper will complain about the opposition entirely too often to not be annoying.
This article in Slate makes it sound like Canada is swinging to the right, which it is; but largely because the Liberals can't get their shit together. The Conservatives are still to the left of American conservatives, but Stephen Harper really, really wants to live in America Junior, which gives the impression that he has some sort of right wing "vision". The Liberals just come off as wankers. Also remember that, because of the way the parliamentary system works here, it's basically as if there's just a legislative and judicial branch- the Prime Minister is more akin to Speaker of the House than a President. (At least, that's how I understand it.)
As for the "polarization" that the article talks about occurring in Canada... total nonsense. You still have to work really hard to locate a Canuck who gives a shit about Canadian politics. As a friend up here said to me recently, "I pay attention to politics in the states because it's just so boring up here". If you want to see "polarization" in Canada, go to a hockey game.

12 comments:

clairev said...

dude, why are you only focusing on two parties? we're a multi-party system and without the bloc or the ndp or the green party or maybe even the communist party (or the marjiuana party...), the libs and cons would not be able to exist or form strong alliances for the opposition. that's the exciting part of canadian politics. watch previous enemies suddenly become chummy out of mutual hatred for the dude that won. that's how you get no confidence votes etc. it's not a two-party system!!! (thank GOD) go ndp!

clairev said...

Oh, right. I keep forgetting the others.

clairev said...

i can conveniently "forget" to find your permanent resident card that will be coming shortly in the mail, you don't have to stay here, yankee-pants, mr. america.

c

p.s. over the line!

clairev said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Okay, so there are two Momma and Poppa parties and a number of baby parties? Ne c'est pas?

Rufus said...

Okay I just wanted to say that I apologize. I retract everything I said. I'm being an ass and just wanted to let you know that I understand what you are saying. I love you.

clairev said...

forgiven my pet. think nothing of it.

c

Rufus said...

Hey, wait a second! That wasn't me!

(This is what happens when you let your wife know the password to your account. Please ignore)

Rufus said...

Wait, what? When did I write that?

Where am I? I'm so confused...I have a WIFE?

Rufus said...

Wait, what? When did I write that?

Where am I? I'm so confused...I have a WIFE?

clairev said...

rufus is ill at the moment everyone, i apologize for this. i've got him lying down with some tea. sometimes he gets "confused". i'm sure you understand.

c

Rufus said...

Good lord! This blog is turning into a bad soap opera!

(c) i agree.

Anyway, this is the *real* Rufus, and about half of these are from an imposter (lola), a Manchurian Rufus, if you will.

Please, move along.