Monday, June 13, 2005

Grad School Madness

Today I am trying to apply to take a graduate French course at the University of Toronto. So far, the process has been a pain in the ass because I have talked to four people in the French department; all of whom have very different ideas about how one should apply to take the "Reading French" course. Number One- the grad student who is teaching the course- thought it would be fine, but I would have to talk to Number Two in order to take the course. Number Two said she didn't know if I would want to take it, but talk to Number Three. Number Three said to call Number Four. I called Number Four; she said that the class would probably be a waste of money for me as UB likely has the same class. UB does not, in fact, have the same course. She had to call Number Three. Three and Four talked for a while. Then, Number Four called me and told me to fill out Forms A, B, C and D. Do not get a letter from my Department. But, go and get transcripts. I did that. Also, I told my Director of Grad Studies that I wouldn't need a letter from her. Then, Number Two emailed me. She told me nothing about Forms A, B, C and D. She said that the class was probably beneath me. (Sure. Of course.) Also, I have to fill out completely different forms and get a letter from my Director of Graduate Studies. To quote Charlie Brown: AAARRRGGHHH!!

So, today I am going to U of T to see if I can figure this out. Is it worth all of this to take a class at such a great school?

No comments: