Tuesday, January 01, 2008

About, oh probably eight or nine years ago, I started saying to people that elite universities should start putting all of their course materials online for free so anyone could download them. I also said I thought this would eventually be the norm. People said I was wrong. "People would stop paying to go to Harvard if they could download all of the course materials and watch the lectures online." My rationale was that they will keep going and paying in droves to have a little piece of paper with the Harvard seal on it. And I think this is true of most universities.

Anyway, it apparently is becoming the norm. Sounds good to me. Our ideal should be education for everyone who wants it. I would argue though that professors should not have to grade papers from everyone who watches their lectures on Youtube!

Technorati:

No comments: