Saturday, February 24, 2007

La Dolce (& Gabbana) Vita


Dolce & Gabbana is pulling the ad to the left from Spain after complaints that it encourages violence against women. In a cheeky response printed in La Vanguardia, D&G claims that Spain is "a bit behind the times" and just doesn't get art when they see it. Maybe it's just because I've seen dozens of D&G ads and I'm used to their weirdly stylized and theatrical tone, but this one just doesn't strike me as that offensive. It seems to take place in the same dreamily erotic world that all of their ads inhabit. I can see where people could take offense. But, from the other perspective, it's really hard to see this as a realistic depiction of anything, even rape. There's something very ambiguous and strange about this ad. If you take it as a transmission from that surrealistic and erotic zone of all the D&G ads, it's actually pretty hot. But, maybe that's just my take on it.

5 comments:

Greg von Winckel said...

What is it that they sell? Clothes? Cologne? It would have been hotter for me if they were all women and the one lying down gained about 20 lbs.

Rufus said...

Actually, they sell breakfast sausage, so this might not have been the best ad.

Greg von Winckel said...

These people have never eaten a breakfast sausage.

Rufus said...

Right, well Dolce & Gabbana sausage is supposed to be taken anally.

Anonymous said...

It is a very offensive ad. I do not see this as advertising. It is showing male domionation in society. Do you see how he is holding her hands down against the ground? Also his friends watching,showing approval of him treating a woman like this.To me and many other people (as this as was shown in one of my classes) this is a sad depiction of our society today.