Sunday, April 23, 2006

Also from "The Collection of Stone and Sand"

Here's another one of these koans that I especially like:

Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come to America, said: "My heart burns like fire but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes."

He made the following rules which he practiced every day of his life.

In the morning before dressing, light incense and meditate.

Retire at a regular hour. Partake of food at regular intervals. Eat with moderation and never to the point of satisfaction.

Receive a guest with the same attitude you have when alone. When alone, maintain the same attitude you have in receiving guests.

Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practice it.

When an opportunity comes do not let it pass by, yet always think twice before acting.

Do not regret the past. Look to the future.

Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the loving heart of a child.

Upon retiring, sleep as if you had entered your last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes.

4 comments:

SecondComingOfBast said...

Most of them are doable. The last one is impossible.

Rufus said...

The sleeping part or the waking part?

SecondComingOfBast said...

The leaving your bed instantly upon awakening part. Yeah, right, I can see me doing that when I wake up in the morning, about like I can see me leaping tall buildings with a single bound.

Rufus said...

You can do it, you just have to sleep on a trampoline.