Monday, April 17, 2006

Delacroix Unbound


This fantastic Delacroix painting from 1828 is going on display in Massachusetts, for the first time ever, and I just might go for a drive to see it. Eugene Delacroix is a major figure in French romanticism, and a major inspiration for much of the impressionist painting that followed romanticism. His work is very important for my dissertation. Also, this painting is just striking isn't it? It's of two horses fighting in the rain, but it looks like something from a nightmare.

2 comments:

SecondComingOfBast said...

Is it my imagination, or does the white one have some kind of guiding spirit-a human one? I even see an arm. I'm probably reading it wrong, but it's a nice piece of art anyway.

Rufus said...

Isn't it gorgeous? It may well be there. I think it looks like flames around the head, but it may be a sort of halo or spirit.