Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Ephemera: News for Emperors

I wasn't very good at Latin when I took it in university. In fact, when I asked the Latin professor who I had taken courses from for two years for a recommendation for grad school, she sheepishly replied, "Well... I could tell them that you work hard, but not that you're good at Latin..." Ouch. She was right though. If I ever meet Caligula in one of those freak time machine accidents, I am screwed.

Anyway, I have recently returned to Latin, a little bit, at night. I'm still not that good at it, but oh, it's such a perfect language! Latin sentences are both beautiful and logical. I'm still like a closet Latinist.

If I get really good, someday, I'll be able to read Ephemera- the Latin language newspaper. It's here, if you'd like to browse the reviews of films like De amore et Urbe, or hear about the presidential race between Baracum Obama and Johanne McCain.

No comments: