Sunday, October 01, 2006

Questioning the gods

A philosophy teacher in France has had to go into hiding after recieving very detailed death threats made because he wrote an article that was critical of a certain religion. No points for guessing the religion. You know, I sort of understand when people wonder if we really need to go out of our way to defend low quality shock value art just because it offends the fanatics. But, really, a philosophy teacher should be allowed to think critically about creeds, beliefs, and philosophies. I mean Socrates was the last one killed for questioning the gods. I expect France to stick up for the guy, but I'd also hope to see some sort of dialogue come from it- I mean between whoever is left that can have a dialogue without threatening to kill the other side.

No comments: